Thursday, November 11, 2010

~Example~

Hi Friends....it's coming upon us....Thanksgiving, that is....and, as I'm typing here, I'm listening to the sound of "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and two curious little voices chatting, laughing, and giggling over the sound of the music. You see, around here....we start celebrating Christmas....EARLY. By the time the Thanksgiving table is being set, we already have cinnamon candles burning, Santa on the mantle, and gold glitter all over the floor from trimming the tree. It's my favorite time of year! And, I have much to be thankful for....this week, the Lord spoke to me about Him being the same....yesterday, today, and forever....do you know why I am so thankful for that? Because our attitudes change in circumstances...our faith changes....we falter easily at times, and yet, He is the same....always willing and wanting to meet us where we are...if only we ask....it's very simple. I needed to be reminded of that. Then I thought...well, this is a good place to start with recognizing what I'm thankful for this year. And, of course, my thoughts didn't wander far without thinking of 2 very special blessings...Noah and Sailer.

We've had some interesting conversations this week....the kids and I. One morning, we told stories over breakfast. Noah told me a story of a little girl who made a mess in her home. She was not obeying Jesus, but the owners of the home allowed her to stay in order to learn how to clean up. He said they lived happily ever after. :) I love hearing stories like this, b/c I can see that Noah is learning graciousness, forgiveness, and mercy in the stories that he's telling. Now, Sailer had a story of her own. I wasn't sure what she'd come up with at two years old, but this was her story....there was a baby bear....a boy bear, she said. He was 2 years old. He lived in a small house. The bear liked to eat cereal, and drink juice boxes. He didn't go to school...he stayed at home. The End. These stories have stuck with me all week long....not sure why, but I'm glad they did. Things happen every single day with these two, and I always think to myself..."Oh...I definitely will NOT forget that!" But...then, I do. I do forget it. And, I get so mad at myself for not remembering the details of all of the sweet and puzzling things these kids to that make my world so much more special and interesting.

So...there's another story from this week....I call it the "Publix Incident." Typically, I like to grocery shop alone. If you're a mom, you know why. But...this past week, I took both kids...on a Friday night...during what should have been dinner time. So...here we are....3 hungry folks battling the Friday night rush at Publix. Eeew. But, it wasn't so bad....the kids were riding in one of their favorite buggies...the one where they can pretend that they are driving. They love that. But, sometimes, as you moms know, proximity is NOT good. For the majority of the shopping trip, Noah had Sailer in a headlock. They were playing...not fussing, but they were just too loud for me. So, I was constantly telling them...."Shhhh. I'm almost done. Don't play so loud....etc." As the trip went on, the playfulness turned to....you aggravate me, I'll aggravate you....I'll poke you in the head....you poke me in the head....I'll scoot over and squeeze you against the side of the buggy, etc. You get the picture. I was over it....and, by the time we were checking out, we ALL were over the trip. So, needless to say, I was more than glad to get settled in the car to go home. Once in the car, I politely (but sternly) explained to the kids that I was tired of the loud playing, the aggravating each other, and the overall lack of listening that this trip entailed...blah, blah, blah. After I finished my rant, I proceed to back out. BUMP! What luck! I ran into my own buggy...which I had forgotten to put up. Ugh! So....I put the car quickly into park, jump out, and push the buggy over to the others that were lined up a few steps away...I get back into the car, and what does Noah say? "Mom, now everyone's looking at YOU!" What???? Since when did my son become such a smarty pants? lol. I have to admit...although I was wired at the time, I look at this as an example of God's sense of humor....it was all I needed to get off my soap box, and chill. Seriously. Don't we all need those moments sometimes?

So...back to the celebrating Christmas early conversation....lately, I've been on an organization kick around the house....organizing my linen closet, ALL cabinets, clothes closets, etc. Man...it's amazing what you'll find in some of these places, especially when you have sneaky kids that will hide things in every nook and cranny. Yesterday, I found a toy airplane that I haven't seen in a long while....I showed it to Noah...and, without hesitation, he said..."Gosh mom! Thanks! I've been looking for this for years!" lol. So funny! Sounds kind of funny coming from a little guy who's only been alive for 5 short years...:) So, in order to keep Noah occupied...and, allow him to feel useful, I assigned a couple of cabinets to Noah for organization....etc. I wasn't sure what they would end up looking like, but I was willing to allow him to try. I was in the next room over when he started looking through the cabinets....I hear him say...."Ah..sweet mama. I hit the motherload!" Huh? Well....supposedly, this phrase came from Alvin and the Chipmunks. I should've known. Anyway, the "motherload" is another word for jackpot...in a sense. So, guess what was in these cabinets? More hidden toys.....a.k.a....the "motherload." :)

So, are ya wondering where Sailer is during all of this? Well...if you know our girl, you'll probably agree she's quiet....but, I can tell you that she has many loud moments at home. She has to, if she wants to get a word in..edgewise with Noah around :) We already know that she tells sweet little stories, but she also says sweet little things to me....when I'm getting her ready for preschool, we talk about her teachers, her friends, and her crafts at school. Sometimes, I'll ask her what she is going to do that day...I just like to hear her reaction. One day this week, she said..."I gonna paint you mommy. I like painting you." I loved it. I smiled. I hugged her, and sent her off for a fun day at preschool. She's becoming such an articulate little girl....her little prayers are something to behold. Don't you know our Lord loves hearing a child's prayer? Especially one like this that Noah prayed this week....."Dear Jesus, thank you for everyone. I love everyone, and I love me. Help us all to be safe. Amen." lol. Glad to know that you love yourself..little buddy :)

~Lord, thank you for these children. Thank you for the responsibility of raising them. Thank you for your guidance. Thank you for your example....Love~Summer~


No comments: