Sunday, October 3, 2010

~God's Glasses~

When I was little, I loved wearing my grandmother's eyeglasses. It felt as if I was walking on the moon! That feeling, although quite insecure, was funny, different, and new....obviously one of the many silly things I liked to do as a young girl. In many ways, I wish I could recapture that carefree feeling again....being able to trust that I wouldn't fall, taking risks, and knowing that even if I DID fall, I'd get right back up. Life was simple then, you know?

What is it about adulthood that makes us so careful & rigid? You know what I mean. We meticulously plan, execute, and check things off of our list...then, we rate ourselves on how fast, how accurate, and how often we do so. And, that determines our self-worth. We constantly compare, wish, dwell, and worry about yesterday, today, and tomorrow.....our family, friends, careers, children...all of the uncontrollables of our lives. After awhile, it becomes taxing. And, God does not wish that for us....not. one. bit.

Recently, I read the definition of the word perspective....in a nutshell, perspective is 'seeing clearly, the ability to view things in their true relation of relative importance' (Websters). But, do we do that...accurately? No. We do not have that capacity...on our own. I am currently in a study on learning contentment by Linda Dillow....for women, I believe this study is vital. "When we have God's perspective, we view our lives and evaluate what is important from His viewpoint." (Dillow, p. 12).

One story that I found truly compelling is a story about Ella. Ella was a missionary in Africa for 52 years! She served in horrible conditions....absolutely horrible. Years after her death, her daughter, Mimi, discovered a diary written by her mother while serving in Africa. It was Ella's prescription for contentment....here it is...

~ Never allow yourself to complain about anything...even the weather.
~ Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
~ Never compare your lot with another's.
~ Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
~ Never dwell on tomorrow - remember that [tomorrow] is God's, not ours.

Wow. Ella's words shame me. (After I read this part of the study, I was tempted to shut the book altogether....it was incredibly convicting.....in some ways discouraging. I'm glad I didn't though). This is what I learned about Ella....her eyes were fixed on eternity. She had a soul-sufficiency...a peace separate from her circumstances. Because her focus was eternal, she reached internal contentment. Most all of us....(and, if you say you don't, you're in denial) base our contentment on our present circumstances, or on our feelings....which is why we can seem content one day and NOT the next. Circumstances and feelings change...especially in women. But, we need to remember...if we desire consistent contentment that is never-failing, we need to know that "contentment is a state of the heart, not a state of affairs" (Dillow, p. 13).

This study has been enormously important for me to read, particularly during this time in my life...b/c there are so many life circumstances that I try daily to control, manipulate, and worry over. I'm sure there are for you too. But, our portion is assigned. That is the greatest simplifier of life! Elisabeth Eliot makes a statement about Psalms 16:5, and sums it up beautifully....."Whatever happens is assigned" Who can argue with that? Think about it this way...everything that happens to you...good or bad, contributes to your eternal portion given by God. It's for your eternal good, whether you believe so or not. When you accept your given portion, other options are cancelled. Decisions become easier, directions clearer, and your heart becomes quieter...calmer. A quiet heart is content with what God gives.

Someone needs to be in control of your life in this out-of-control world, but it does not need to be you!

This is my prayer....that I can put on God's Glasses....that He would transform my perspective to an eternal one so I may have and enjoy internal contentment. My promise to God is to wear those glasses in faith...so, that if I fall, which I will, I will get back up, set my eyes upon Him, and not resort to old habits of complaining, wishing, comparing, and dwelling on what could have been.

God Bless all of you! Happy Sunday!

7 comments:

Amber said...

Beautiful post, Summer. God must be working on the same areas of our lives b/c contentment is what I want, but so hard to find. I love Ella's "bullets" about how to find contentment. I was convicted, also, but she definitely gave great places to start. Have you read the book RADICAL? I'm reading it now, and would recommend it to you.

Mo & Tiffany said...

Thanks for sharing Summer! It's so funny how the Lord is continuing to bring stuff to me over the past couple weeks about not complaining, trusting Him, and being positive rather than negative. I just started on two studies about these things, the one is "Lord change my attitude" - I'm only on day one and it's been so rough already & so good! It just seems to have a thread through what the Lord is teaching you right now as well. Funny how He does that:) I sure do need to put on some faith & trust in the Lord glasses daily! Love ya!

Susan Smith said...

I agree with Amber, this was a beautiful post. I really needed to hear this. It's great to be reminded from time to time. We get so caught up with STUFF!

Laura Ripley said...

Awesome post! I need to read this book.

Laura Ripley said...

Awesome post! I need to read this book. It's comforting to know many of us struggle with the same things.

Anonymous said...

Summer, I am truly blessed to have you walk in my life. Thank you for sharing this post with me(us). Each day is a struggle yet with my heart turned to the Lord I feel it becomes better to handle. I must read this book you soo recommend!! We will have lots to talk about. Mindy

The Peters Family said...

Summer~ WOW!!!.... You have no clue how much I needed that. I stand amazed at my Heavenly Father and how he seems to "assign" people to my life at just the right times. I recently have been doing some soul searching and over and over I am reminded to "be still and know that my God is in control". Thank you for sharing your beautiful reminder.